We strongly condemn the violent aggression against two Bersih bikers in Sabak Bernam by red shirt protesters led by Jamal Md Yunos, head of UMNO division of Sungai Besar. In a video recorded by Malaysiakini, one of the bikers, Kusaini Kassim was kicked twice on the head by red shirt protesters from the back while being surrounded by a big group of red shirt thugs.
We thank the traffic police officer that saved Kusaini Kassim from further assaults by the thugs. We laud the police for apprehending three red shirt protesters that resorted to violence to prevent the situation getting from bad to worse. We hope justice will be done for Kusaini Kassim.
We are however concerned that there is a larger political force behind Jamal Md Yunos and the red shirts as he seems to be untouchable and is above the law. He was alleged to have punched one of the Bersih protesters in an incident in Teluk Intan. He parked his car together with others in the middle of the road between Teluk Intan and Bidor in an attempt to block the Bersih 5 convoy. He said he will vault his car on top of Bersih 5 convoy’s cars. He even threatened more aggressive response to the Bersih 5 convoy in the coming days.
More alarmingly, in a facebook post under the account of “Dato Jamal Yunos”, which Jamal Md Yunos claimed later that it was fake, threatened that the Bersih 5 rally will see a repeat of the 1969 race riots with flaying parang.
Despite all these, to this day, there is still no action taken against Jamal Md Yunos by the police or any other authorities except that the Inspector General of Police said the facebook post under the account of “Dato Jamal Yunos” will be investigated.
Will we ever see the instigation and provocation of violence by Jamal Md Yunos with his red shirts be stopped by the authorities before situation gets out of hand?
Such violent aggressions and provocations have no place in a civilized society like ours and should be condemned in the strongest term by both sides of the political divide. We commend UMNO minister Khairy Jamaluddin for condemning the violence of the red shirts. We are however shocked that the prime minister, Najib Razak, has remained silence to this date since Jamal Md Yunos led his red shirt thugs to instigate violence from day one of the Bersih 5 convoy starting on October 1.
Is the prime minister cum the president of UMNO giving political backing and blessing to Jamal Md Yunos, the UMNO division head of Sungai Besar to continue his aggression with the red shirts thugs?
Will the prime minister publicly condemn the violence by red shirts and call for action against Jamal Md Yunos and his red shirt thugs? The prime minister must answer now.
Press conference on Denouncing Political Violence & Criminal Intimidation of the Red Shirts
12 October 2016 (Wednesday), 11am
1st Floor Kuala Lumpur and Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall
List of Organisations and their representative in support:
1. Gabungan Bertindak Malaysia – Zaid Kamaruddin
2. IKRAM – Zaid Kamaruddin (same person as the above)
3. Persatuan Aliran Kesedaran Negara (Aliran) – Christopher Chong
4. SUARAM – Amir Abd Hadi, Muhd Luqman Ismail
5. Pusat KOMAS – Faribel Maglin
6. All Women’s Action Society (AWAM) – Deepa Chandra
7. Persatuan Masyarakat Selangor dan Wilayah Persekutuan (PERMAS) – Julie Wong
8. National Human Rights Society (HAKAM) – Ivy Josiah
9.Global Bersih - Ivy Josiah (same person as the above)
10. Projek Dialog - Johan Zolhaidi & Victoria Cheng
11. Malaysian Indians Progressive Association (MIPAS) – S. Barathidasan
12. Spokesperson of TangkapMO1 – Anis Syafiqah
13. Jawatankuasa Bertindak Kuala Lumpur Tak Nak Insinerator – Lee Chong Tek, Tan Kok Siang, Chay Jin Jin
14. Kuala Lumpur & Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall - Liau Kok Fah