OR DISEMPOWERING FOR CITIZENS ACTION
Date: Nov 17, 2016 (Thursday)
Time: 5.30 pm to 7pm
Venue Conference Room at NORTH SOUTH INITIATIVE, A-2-7 Pusat Perdagangan Seksyen 8, Jalan Sg Jernih 8/1, 46050 Petaling Jaya,
Tel/Fax :03 7931 0741
In democratic societies, all groups are free to express in peaceful ways their views and convictions. This is a fundamental right. However this rights does not give individuals and groups the license to carry out violent threats, obstructions and intimidating behaviour.
In Malaysian society, we are increasing witnessing intolerance towards the expression of alternative political views and aspirations. Two matters of contestation are those pertaining to the electoral system and corrupt practices. Action or inaction by those holding public office to protect the democratic space is a major area of concern.
In the context of violent threats, obstructive actions and intimations by certain individuals and organised groups, PROHAM is hosting this discussion to provide the space to review and discuss the need for safe democratic spaces for citizen’s peaceful action. The objective is to affirm a stronger Malaysian commitment to universal human rights standards based on UDHR and the Federal Constitution.
Panel (Invited subject to confirmation)
· Dr Khoo Ying Hooi (PROHAM Volunteer) – A review of the events & contemporary environment for action’s peaceful action through peaceful assembly.
· Mr Jerald Joseph (SUHAKAM) – A review of previous inquiries and recommendations on peaceful assemblies.
· Bar Council Spokesperson – A review of the current laws pertaining to peaceful assembly and the application of it in Malaysian society.
· KDN or Police Spokesperson – The position taken by KDN & enforcement and their views pertaining to this action.
· BERSIH Spokesperson – A review of emerging issues in exercising the right to peaceful assembly & the way forward
Panel Moderated by Datuk Dr Denison Jayasooria (PROHAM Secretary General)